Job Title: Communications Manager
Location: Phnom Penh, with some provincial travel
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Partnerships
Closing date: Open until filled
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, the organization conducts in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
Working at scale, WaterSHED’s market-based sanitation program (Hands-Off Sanitation Marketing) has successfully enabled rural small businesses to sell more than 200,000 toilets, generating more than USD $10 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping to accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years. WaterSHED also incubates three social businesses based in Cambodia, Vietnam and Bangladesh.
WaterSHED has won competitive awards from USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s first Grand Challenge dedicated to women and girls.
ABOUT THE ROLE
“You are punching above your weight. You need to be louder” — common feedback from partners and donors. The Communications and Marketing Manager will build and lead a communications strategy that enhances our target audiences’ understanding of and appreciation for WaterSHED’s work. This role presents a unique opportunity to help shape how we become louder about our cutting-edge work in market-based, localized development. A successful candidate would have a desire to deeply understand our audiences and channels, a curiosity about development and the WASH sector, and strong writing and media production skills. This position is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Lead development of compelling written content for our audiences by working with program and research teams to develop, write, and publish short and long-form pieces
- Support research team to copy edit, design, and produce research products
- Lead development of compelling visual content by working with the communications coordinator and contractors. This includes producing quality photography and short videos.
- Lead and manage our digital platforms including website, Twitter, Facebook, and newsletters
- Work with fundraising team to develop fundraising materials and support occasional donor visits
- Guide and support your communications coordinator to produce excellent content and materials and develop their professional skills; and manage contractors and their tasks
- Strong organizational skills, strong sense of personal responsibility, and love of teamwork
- Basic understanding of research concepts or experience working with research teams
- Comfortable using multimedia software such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Premier Pro
- Five to ten years of relevant experience in communications, writing, and or marketing
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download)
- Resume with the name and contacts of three references
- A cover letter, outlining your experience and skills (maximum one page)
- Portfolio of written work (articles and/or reports)
- Optional – portfolio of published photos, videos, and or design samples
Please send your application to email@example.com with the subject “Communications Manager”.
Application deadline: Open until filled