Job Title: Communications Manager
Location: Phnom Penh, with some provincial travel
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Director of Partnerships
Closing date: August 12, 2019
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services.
Working at scale in Cambodia, WaterSHED’s market-based sanitation program has successfully enabled rural small businesses to sell more than 200,000 toilets, generating more than USD $10 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping to accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years. WaterSHED also incubates three social businesses based in Cambodia, Vietnam and Bangladesh.
WaterSHED has won competitive awards from USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s first Grand Challenge dedicated to women and girls.
ABOUT THE ROLE
“You are punching above your weight. You need to be louder” — common feedback from partners and donors. The Communications Manager will build and lead a communications strategy that enhances our target audiences’ understanding of and appreciation for WaterSHED’s work. This role presents a unique opportunity to help shape how we become louder about our cutting-edge work in market-based, localized development. A successful candidate would have a desire to deeply understand our audiences and channels, a curiosity about development and the importance of water, sanitation and hygiene, and strong writing and project management skills. This position is based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
- Work with the Director of Partnerships to develop a communications strategy with relevant success metrics and targets
- Lead the development of compelling written content for our audiences by working with program and research teams to develop, write, and publish short and long-form pieces
- Work with the research & learning team to produce research products
- Lead the development of visual content by working with the communications officer and freelancers
- Manage our digital platforms including the website, Twitter, Facebook, and newsletters
- Work with the fundraising team to produce briefs and relevant content, and support occasional partner visits
- Guide and support the performance and skills development of the communications officer; and manage freelancers’ contracts
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; loves working in a team
- Strong organizational skills and strong sense of personal responsibility
- Basic understanding of research concepts or experience working with research projects
- Five years of relevant experience in communications, writing, and or marketing
- Skills or interest in learning digital production is a plus, but not required
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for someone who appreciates the objectives and values of WaterSHED, has excellent communication skills, is entrepreneurial and creative, takes initiative, and is enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about/.
Please include the following in your application:
- An application form (download)
- Resume with contact information of three references
- A cover letter outlining your interest in the organization and the role (1-page max)
- Portfolio of written work (articles and/or reports)
- Optional – portfolio of published photos, videos, and or design samples
Please submit the application and materials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Communications Manager”