Job Title: Database and Web Development Officer
Location: Phnom Penh
Job Type: Full Time (Monday – Friday)
Reports to: Program Director
Closing date: November 23, 2018
WaterSHED is seeking candidates for a Database and Web Development Officer with strong interests and experience in back-end web development (application and database layers) as well as front-end web development (structure and style layers) to improve WaterSHED’s web-based applications.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, the organization conducts in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s Hands-Off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 200,000 toilets, generating more than USD $10 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Forbes, Reuters, and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
WaterSHED uses a web-based platform and mobile technology to improve communication between different market actors, to help local businesses manage sales and inventory, and monitor and evaluate the results of sales activities. WaterSHED is recruiting a Database and Web Development Officer to manage and further develop these tools.
The ideal candidate will combine creativity with excellent attention to detail to improve WaterSHED’s existing web-based applications. The candidate will work closely with team members to continuously improve application performance and usability for users with low technological literacy. We are seeking an individual with strong communication skills who can work across departments to translate needs into functionality.
In this important role you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining, troubleshooting, and improving existing PHP projects;
- Database administration;
- Refactoring and optimizing existing code/database with a view to moving to the Laravel framework;
- Optimizing application for speed and scalability;
- Documenting code as reference for other developers;
- Generating reports upon requests.
- Assessing current features to update and increase functionality to be more user friendly and responsive to user demands;
- Fixing bugs and maintenance;
- Orientation to staffs and related stakeholders of new functionalities of the mobile app;
- Documenting and managing feedback from non-technical staff.
- Communicating effectively to troubleshoot problems for non-technical staff.
- Regular monitoring of web application traffic and performance.
- Supporting presentations and training workshops for roll-out of new applications or technology.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field and/or equivalent work experience.
- Proven experience in both frontend and backend web development
- At least 3 years’ experience in a related field.
- Commitment to translating ideas into design/coding.
- Fluency in OOP PHP and Laravel framework.
- Good understanding on CMS like WordPress Theming and Module Development Experience.
- Knowledge of Mobile App development context or Android SDK.
- Basic knowledge of Google Map API or Arc GIS is a plus.
- PHP Unit testing framework is a plus.
- Focused on staying up to date with new trends and advancements in web development.
WHO ARE YOU?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for people who appreciate WaterSHED’s values and mission, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty, and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about/
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- A cover letter, outlining your experience and skills
- And your C.V. or resume, with the names and contacts of three referees
- no scans of certificates needed
to email@example.com with the subject “Database and Web Development Officer”.
Deadline: November 23, 2018