Job Title: Communications Officer
Location: Phnom Penh
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Communications Manager
Term: 1 year fixed contract.
Closing date: Open until filled.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, the organization conducts in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a dynamic, resilient market.
Working at scale, WaterSHED’s market-based sanitation program has successfully enabled rural producers to sell more than 200,000 toilets – generating more than USD $10 million in revenue for rural businesses. This helped accelerate rural sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years. WaterSHED also incubates three social businesses based in Cambodia, Vietnam and Bangladesh.
WaterSHED has won competitive awards from USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s first Grand Challenge Dedicated to Women and Girls.
WaterSHED is looking for a Communications Officer who will work under the guidance of the Communications Manager to create dynamic content for our supporters and external audiences. The Communications Coordinator will help plan and implement strategies to engage and inform WaterSHED’s audience using diverse online and offline platforms.
We’re looking for individuals who are passionate about communications. Candidates must be willing to work in Khmer and English, and create content in both languages. The Coordinator will also have creative opportunities to develop projects on multimedia platforms using video, photography and social media.
- Prepare research products for translation from English to Khmer (summarized reports, PowerPoint presentations for stakeholder meetings, fact sheets, etc.)
- Help prepare newsletters and other communications content about WaterSHED activities
- Create multimedia content for social media and website
Additional tasks (desired but not required):
- Shoot and process high quality photos or videos for local and international audiences
- Co-host/co-produce media visits to project sites
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA
Skills and competencies:
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in Khmer;
- Excellent written translation from English to Khmer
- Experience using multiple social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Youtube et al.
- Creative, self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Works well under pressure and on tight deadlines
Additional skills (desirable but not required):
- Web design and/or blogging experience using WordPress, Blogger, Square Space, et al.
- Experience in digital production (such as video and/or photo production and post-production)
- Appreciation of WaterSHED’s mission and values
- Entrepreneurial, creative, good at taking initiative, and enthusiastic
- Good at problem solving and critical thinking
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and meet tight deadlines
- Honest and trustworthy
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and work towards your vision every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about/.
Please include the following in your application:
- Resume with the name and contact information of three references
- An application form (download)
- A cover letter outlining your interest in the organization and the role (1-page max)
- Portfolio of written work (articles, reports, translations) in Khmer and English
- Optional – portfolio of published photos, videos, and or design samples
Please submit the application and materials to email@example.com with the subject “Communications Officer.”