Job Title: Social Researcher
Location: Phnom Penh, with some provincial travel
Job Type: Full Time
Reports to: Research and Learning Manager
Term: Up to 10 months, concluding no later than December 31, 2020.
Closing date: Urgent fill
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services.
Working at scale in Cambodia, WaterSHED’s market-based sanitation program has successfully enabled rural small businesses to sell more than 200,000 toilets, generating more than USD $10 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping to accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years. WaterSHED also incubates three social businesses based in Cambodia, Vietnam and Bangladesh.
WaterSHED has won competitive awards from USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures, Grand Challenges Canada, and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s first Grand Challenge dedicated to women and girls.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You will be key member of the WaterSHED Research and Learning Team, working closely with the Research and Learning Manager and in conjunction with the managers of WaterSHED’s various business units. As a team member you will:
- Design data collection tools for research projects as well as for ongoing program monitoring activities
- Contribute to research design by identifying or developing appropriate methodologies, writing detailed research protocols, and drafting analysis plans to outline the most appropriate analytical techniques to respond to given research questions
- Coordinate fieldwork logistics including oversight of contracted enumerators and scheduling of interviews or focus group discussions
Conduct interviews and focus group discussions with rural households, latrine suppliers, local leaders, etc
- Manage data; curate and organize audio files, transcripts, and datasets; provide quality control oversight of qualitative data received from contracted agencies/enumerators
- Translate data collection tools and data from Khmer to English and vice versa
- Analyze qualitative data and write research reports for various audiences (e.g. donors, sector actors, government, international conferences, peer-reviewed journals)
- Disseminate research findings by coordinating within sector to share research findings, presenting research findings at local and international conferences
- Conduct research trainings to build capacity of WaterSHED staff and external sector staff
- A university degree in rural development, sociology, psychology, public health or a related field
- Several years of experience working, conducting qualitative, in-depth field research in rural areas in Cambodia or in the region
- Demonstrated skills and experience in coordinating multiple and complex activities and in working on both quantitative and qualitative data projects
- Sufficient English language skills to summarize and communicate research findings in English as well as translate interviews from Khmer to English
- Advanced technical writing skills in Khmer and English
- Not afraid to talk and think about topics that many people find uncomfortable, for example discussing feces management and open defecation in simple terms with villagers for the most part of the working day
- Creative thinker, has empathy and inexhaustible curiosity
Willingness to travel in-country
- Driver’s license for car is a plus
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for someone who appreciates the objectives and values of WaterSHED, has excellent communication skills, is entrepreneurial and creative, takes initiative, and is enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about/.
To apply for this position, please send your application including:
- Application form (download)
- Cover letter, outlining your research skills and your involvement in past research projects (max. one page)
- C.V. or resume
- Writing sample that demonstrates both your written communication skills as well as your analytical capabilities (max. one page). Note: Writing sample can be excerpt from a larger piece of work, but the applicant must be the primary author of the sample
to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Social Researcher”.