Job Title: Program Director
Location: Phnom Penh
Job Type: Full Time (Monday – Friday)
Reports to: Executive Director
Closing date: September 30, 2018
WaterSHED is seeking an experienced Program Director to lead WaterSHED’s ambitious strategy for market development, system strengthening, research & learning, and wider advocacy in the area of rural sanitation, hygiene and water. The successful candidate will provide overall leadership for all WaterSHED programs in order to build coherence across them and to ensure quality execution of all activities.
WaterSHED uses a systems-approach to build the rural market for water, sanitation, and hygiene products and services across Southeast Asia. Based in Cambodia, the organization conducts in-depth research to identify strategic opportunities and gaps in the wider system, and then works to strengthen the capacity and relationships between key actors to create a more dynamic and resilient market.
By engaging key actors in the system, including small businesses, customers, and local government, WaterSHED facilitates the adoption of toilets, water filters, and handwashing stations – building a market that functions independent of traditional aid. To date, WaterSHED’s Hands-Off marketing approach has successfully enabled small businesses to sell more than 200,000 toilets, generating more than USD $10 million in revenue for rural businesses, and helping accelerate sanitation coverage from a stagnant 25% to nearly 60% in six years.
WaterSHED has been featured in Forbes, Reuters, and Huffington Post, and is a twice winner of USAID’s Development Innovation Ventures competition, a winner of Canada Grand Challenges Stars in Global Public Health, and 1st prize winner of the Reed Elsevier Environmental Challenge.
The Program Director will oversee the planning, coordination and execution of WaterSHED’s programs, ensuring that they are aligned with and contribute to the vison of the Cambodian WASH sector, and that they fulfill the mission and strategic goals of WaterSHED.
The Program Director is a senior management role within the organization. He/she will report directly to the Executive Director and will directly supervise five (5) program managers who lead the implementation of activities. The Program Director will be responsible for a range of functions, including the following:
Plan and manage program execution:
- Lead and shape WaterSHED’s existing program of work in line with Cambodia’s sector strategy and vision, and with global best practices;
- Lead the design of program activities in line with WaterSHED’s mission and strategic goals;
- Work with programs managers to prepare annual & quarterly budgets and operating plan;
- Develop new initiatives that support WaterSHED’s vision, mission and strategic goals;
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives;
- Conduct regular reflection meetings and adapt activities accordingly;
- Ensure effective linkages between programs to build coherence and synergy;
- Identify and establish new partnerships.
- In cooperation with the Executive Director and HR Manager, recruit, retain, and lead program staff who embody WaterSHED’s values of integrity, leadership, and quality;
- Implement human resources policies, procedures and practices of the organization;
- Ensure that personnel files for the programs are properly maintained and kept confidential;
- Manage performance management process for all program staff;
- Coach program staff in response to professional development needs, working to ensure that all program staff have clarity on objectives and are motivated to succeed.
Ensure high-quality program delivery:
- Coordinate with the Research & Learning team to enhance a program evaluation and learning framework to assess program activities and to continuously improve;
- Ensure that programs comply with all relevant legislation and professional standards, and with the policies and procedures of WaterSHED
- Ensure that the collection and maintenance of records are done following the confidentiality / privacy policies of the organization.
Budget management and reporting:
- Lead WaterSHED’s strong diligence for lean program spending, striving to keep our sanitation and hygiene programs as the global benchmark for efficiency;
- Oversee the preparation and management of overall program budget, including quarterly forecasts;
- Conduct variance reviews with relevant program managers;
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting on all grant-funded programs;
- Prepare quarterly and annual program reports for government ministries as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Master degree in development, management or others relevant field,
- At least 5 years in a senior management position in an NGO or INGO, with relevant experience
- Proven ability to:
- lead and communicate;
- deal with complex problems and find innovative solutions;
- be sensitive and tactful cross-culturally and externally;
- demonstrate high integrity and ethical standards; and
- to manage risks
- Fluency in written and spoken Khmer and English.
WHO ARE YOU?
Working with us will give you the chance to use your creativity and deploy your ideas every day. We have a dynamic, highly collaborative culture that sets high standards for our work.
We are looking for people who appreciate WaterSHED’s values and mission, have excellent communication skills, are entrepreneurial and creative, take initiative, and are enthusiastic. Good problem-solving, critical-thinking skills, honesty, and trustworthiness are essential. See our values at www.watershedasia.org/about/
Interested applicants please send your application including:
- An application form (download),
- A cover letter, outlining your experience and skills
- And your C.V. or resume, with the names and contacts of three referees
- no scans of certificates needed
to email@example.com with the subject “Program Director”.
Deadline: September 30, 2018